An early morning fire on Tuesday, March 15 2011, razed the store house of The Ivy College’s boy’s hostel, at 4, Owodunni Street, Off Toyin Street Ikeja Lagos, destroying materials kept in the store like bed, chairs and files.
It was gathered that the fire started at about 1a.m. as a result of a high current when the PHCN restored the light. The fire spread fast to the entire flat of the storehouse. Checks revealed that the students were fast asleep in another flat of the same building.
The students expressed fears that the enormity of the damage incurred may affect their accommodation and welfare in the hostel.
None of the management staff of the company was available to comment on the fire incident, though some of the security men briefed a correspondent who was at the scene of the incident.
People in the neighborhood were at the scene to help put out the flame. Men of the Lagos State Fire and Safety Services later arrived the scene and succeeded in putting out the fire after 2 hours of battling to control it.
At the time of filing this report, the workers at the hostel were cleaning the store-house while the students were seen fetching water for Omotayo Hospital adjacent to the hostel, getting ready for the days activities.